Sunday, December 7, 2008

Downtown, no place like it on earth.

In the 'berg there's this place called Downtown. It has a leopard printed velour wall, disco balls, playes 50's-70's music, and has posters of mod-era bombshells. It's truly like no other place I have ever seen or been inside. Obviously, whomever comes to visit me will be brought to this location as it's equally fabulous and horrifying.
The first time I was brought to this place it ended up being back to back outings.
Here's Friday night....out w/ adi peeps.

This random German in white wanted to know why we were talking about sweaters. We were actually talking about bad christmas sweaters, but it turned out he had his own sweater.



Since they like to play lots of James Brown here, there's always a dance party.

The oddities about this place just get better. It's basically a basement, so there are supporting poles throughout w/ tables going around it about 1/2 way up. Apparently the ritual here is to dance in the 4 to 3.5 feet of space between the table and the ceiling. The group is not supposed to leave until everyone has gone around at least once. Astrid and I got out of this activity, luckily.





Some are more creative with their dancing than others...


Yes, that's right. I got to hang out with Billy Crudup.



Since it's like a circus inside, they make you perform circus tricks.

Doing his best Clark Kent running to the phone booth...
I think I can, I think I can...


As I said above, for better or worse I saw this place two nights in a row. On Saturday I joined up with friends, again adi peeps, who had previously been at a bad christmas sweater party.
This is me starting to say "what are you wearing?" Apparently that's my "W" face when slightly horrified. Iain was also wearing matching kicks.
Peter is already in position to make is turn around the pole.
I'd like to point out his full effort w/snazzy socks and shoes.

Trying to get off was a bit more challenging.
I appreciate the "nothing to see here folks" stance Iain is taking on the matter.

As you can guess by now having seen the Halloween pics, the Hip Hop night pics, and Iain's outfit above, everyone here takes fancy dress very seriously but likes to make up their own rules. Clearly bad xmas sweater turned into "anything ridiculous relating to the winter season".
Trevor sporting his christmas tree skirt poncho.
Side note - can we please observe he's the second boy this night who owns and is wearing a white turtleneck. (a so called roll down, by our british friends)

Peter hand sewed an "advent" calendar on his back so that he could give people a number and they could get the surprised that matched their number. 120% for creative effort. 5% for organizational layout.

Wearing their own costumes.
And now wearing each other's costume
Lucas felt manly enough in his ski sweater to rock out with his murse (man purse, though also used to describe a male nurse).
See...leopard velour padded walls.....what?!?


Walking back home, we realized he had a roll-away hood. Made the 12euros he spent even more worth it. Now we're just daring him to wear it on the slopes....he will of course, so please look forward to those pictures.

No comments: